As you know, the latest LFS release brought us an update of Blackwood, which includes a new industrial area.
Blackwood, as well as the rest of the tracks, comes originally from a left hand driving country. This means, all the signs on this new part of the track have been placed for left side driving.
This exact same thing happened back then with the updated Westhill. Even though everything was designed for left hand driving (road signs (horizontal and vertical), roundabouts…) we overruled it by placing our own marks on the road. You can’t say it’s the most beautiful way to implement the layout, but it was functional.
Now we receive this Blackwood update, which would mean doing the same thing we did on Westhill. However, as agreed by the majority of our staff members, we decided not to repeat this layout-workaround again, and in fact change all the tracks to left side driving. Because of this we have modified our layouts to make them LHT-friendly.
This means we will implement some changes in our rules as well as in our layouts. Here is a brief list:
– All tracks will be LEFT SIDE DRIVING, which also means TURN LEFT OUT OF PITS. All the traffic lights and road signs have been adjusted accordingly for all the tracks.
– Blackwood: we moved some of the insim locations to the industrial area. We encourage the usage of our !gps to help you find out those new locations. Additionally, we added a 1/4 mile drag strip in the industrial area.
– South City: we made drive-able few bits of the highways where you cannot drive by default. We also moved four job locations to those new zones as they were previously sitting in places not very traffic-friendly.
– Kyoto: oval is still one way only, but the driving direction will be changed. Turn left now when entering the oval, driving on the left side of it and giving way on the right side for letting faster cars pass you.
– Aston, Fern Bay, Rockingham and Westhill: no special remarks.
We understand that this might cause some confusion at first. Even most of us who decided to switch to left side driving live on countries where we drive on the right side of the road, but we truly hope we all can make the effort to get used to this new system.
You will be reminded of this update when you leave the pits by a couple of lines in the chat (/msg) and a race control message (/rcm).
This new update will be implemented on 20th February 2017 at noon, coinciding with the track rotation.